With the early signing period beginning this Wednesday and the 2018 recruiting class near full capacity, there is still, believe it or not a few guys that the Mountaineers are hoping to hear from in the next few days. Obviously goal number one is to ensure those currently committed, stay with the program. Objective number two is to hope most of those verbal commits sign during the early period, so that the coaching staff can focus on the remaining recruits who are undecided.
So you may ask, what is left for the Mountaineers?
- JUCO DB Dominique Harrison- He brings experience to a position that desperately needs his talent and could provide depth immediately.
- LB Zakoby McClain- Currently committed to the Auburn Tigers, but that does not mean West Virginia has since backed off their pursuit. McClain was spotted in a WVU shirt a few days ago, take it for what it’s worth, but I say there is still a long shot it happens. Current WVU defensive back commit Jayce Rogers is a teammate of McClain, keep that in mind.
- Offensive lineman Reuben Lewis- Another current SEC commit that could potentially flip. This would be the hardest flip to pull off as Lewis committed to the LSU Tigers within the last month. Lewis is a physical specimen that could absolutely play day one in Morgantown.
Which commits are MUST early signs?
- DB Kwantel Raines- He confirmed on twitter last week that he would be signing on December 20th with West Virginia. He can lie all rumors to rest soon.
- RB Leddie Brown- No one seems to know when he will sign and he has seemed to be one of the few commits to flirt with other schools even following his choice of WVU.
- OL Blaine Scott- Scott has already flipped from Ole Miss to West Virginia, but my concern is not him flipping again, it is to solidify the depth up front. It’s uncertain if Scott will play as a true freshman or not, but a big key to that will be him enrolling early, which seems to be the plan.
Signing day is always a very long and tiring, yet exciting day for those involved and with the majority of the class expected to sign tomorrow, it should answer a lot of our questions. We have already seen one flip that did not go in the Mountaineers favor, will we see more?